Mr. Robert Dugan has been a partner at Buckner, Shifrin, Etter, Dugan, Bradfute & Kohlman, P.A. since joining the firm in 2008 and is the head of the firm’s General Civil Litigation Practice Group. He has 30 years of trial experience and over the past quarter century has primarily represented defendants in all types of civil litigation matters.
Before becoming a Partner at Buckner Shifrin, he served as Senior Trial Attorney/Assistant General Counsel in the Law Department at Florida Power & Light (FPL). Upon leaving FPL after just over a decade, he was a partner at a South Florida defense firm for nine years.
Mr. Dugan has tried well over 100 civil jury trials to conclusion in both state and federal court. He has defended more than 1,000 third party liability cases, including negligence and strict liability claims against property owners, premises liability (slip and fall/trip and fall cases), motor vehicle negligence, professional errors and omissions, including medical malpractice, defamation, toxic torts, as well as first party property matters, construction defects cases and claims unique to the electric utility industry.
- AV Preeminent rated by Martindale Hubbell, the highest peer review ranking, based on his professional experience and ethics.
- Juris Doctorate, University of Miami School of Law, Coral Gables, Florida, 1984.
- Bachelor of Business Administration cum laude, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts, 1981.
- Member, The Florida Bar, 1984.
- Member, United States District Court, Southern District of Florida, 1985.
- Member, United States Circuit Court of Appeal, Eleventh Circuit, 1988.
- Member, United States District Court, Middle District of Florida, 1993.
- The Florida Bar Grievance Committee 11H, 1999-2001; Chairman 2000-2001.
- Member, Dade County Bar Association; Board of Directors, 2006-2008.
- Member, American Bar Association.
- Member, Coral Gables Bar Association.
- Member, Dade County Defense Lawyers Association.
- Member, Florida Defense Lawyers Association.