Recognized in 2016 and 2017 as one of the Top 100 lawyers in the State of Florida by SuperLawyers magazine, Robert Kohlman is a trial lawyer who focuses on complex marital and family law cases, as well as civil ligation. He joined Buckner, Shifrin, Etter, Dugan, Bradfute & Kohlman, P.A. after working as a partner at Baker & McKenzie, LLP, the world’s largest international law firm.
Mr. Kohlman has tried well in excess of 125 cases in both State and Federal Court. He has extensive appellate experience and has argued cases at the Florida Second, Third, Fourth, and Fifth District Courts of Appeal, as well as before the Federal 11th Circuit Court of Appeals.
His practice areas include divorce, paternity, alimony/spousal support and child support, division of marital assets and liabilities, children’s timesharing (“custody”) issues, modification proceedings, civil litigation, as well as drafting pre- and post-nuptial agreements. Much of his practice involves international clients or international legal issues, such the complexities of multi-country litigation or the return of kidnapped children under The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.
- AV Preeminent rated by Martindale Hubbell, the highest peer review ranking, based on his professional experience and ethics.
- “Top 100 Lawyers in the State of Florida” as recognized by SuperLawyers magazine, 2016, 2017.
- “Top 100 Lawyers in Miami” as recognized by SuperLawyers magazine, 2015-2017.
- Named the 2016 Family Law “Legal Luminary” by the Dade County Bar Association.
- “Top Lawyers in Florida”, SuperLawyers magazine, 2011-2017.
- Top Lawyer, South Florida Legal Guide, 2008-2015, 2017.
- Florida Trend Legal Elite 2009, 2010 and 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016.
- “Superb” 10.0 AVVO legal rating.
- Juris Doctorate with High Honors, Florida State University College of Law, Tallahassee, Florida, 1994.
- Order of the Coif, awarded to those graduating in top ten percent of class.
- Executive Editor, Florida State University Law Review.
- Notes & Comments Editor, Florida State University Law Review.
- Intern, Florida Supreme Court.
- Bachelor of Journalism, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri, 1987.
- Member, The Florida Bar, 1994.
- Member, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 1995.
- Law Clerk, Florida Third District Court of Appeal.
- Member, Family Law and Appellate Law Section, The Florida Bar.
- Member, Collaborative Family Law Institute.
- Member, Gay and Lesbian Lawyers Association.
- Founding Member, BNI Biscayne Connections. He currently serves as Mentorship Coordinator for the chapter. His past positions include: President, Visitor Host Chair, Ethics & Challenges Advisor for the Membership Committee, Educational Coordinator and Chapter Ambassador.
- Mr. Kohlman serves on the Board of Directors for KidSide charity. He acts as pro bono legal counsel for Care AIDS Resource, the largest AIDS service provider in South Florida; and serves as a pro bono Guardian Ad Litem.